MARK FRANKLAND

I wear two hats when I write this blog of mine. First and foremost, I manage a small charity in a small Scottish town called Dumfries. Ours is a front door that opens onto the darker corners of the crumbling world that is Britain 2015. We hand out 5000 emergency food parcels a year in a town that is home to 50,000 souls. Then, as you can see from all of the book covers above, I am also a thriller writer. If you enjoy the blog, you might just enjoy the books. The link below takes you to the whole library in the Kindle store. They can be had for a couple of quid each.

Monday, September 30, 2019

A FEW THOUGHTS FROM AN ENGLISH REFUGEE IN SCOTLAND

Our family moved from England to Scotland twenty five years ago. How would I have described this life change at the time? I guess I would have simply said we had moved. It didn't really feel like moving from one country to another. Instead it was more like shifting from one place to another.

Back then I was very much a Lancastrian. A northerner. And back then, the North of England and Scotland were very much shoulder to shoulder. We had suffered Thatcher in equal measure. Back then it was all about the North/South divide: and we were both the North. Or so it seemed to me.

With hindsight, I can see our move was something of a window into the future. My home town, Blackburn, was becoming increasingly toxic. Racism was both open and growing. Streets which in my youth had been Hovis advert friendly were now home to Union Flags, Dock Martins and snarling dogs.

It was no place to bring up our two mixed race boys. It was time to get out of Dodge.

We were fed up with living in town. In our last Blackburn year, my car was broken into twice before it was torched. Was this because we were a mixed race family? Who knows? The cops certainly didn't.

We wanted to bring the boys up in the countryside. Had we been able to afford it, I guess we would have moved somewhere in the Ribble Valley or Cumbria. But there was absolutely no chance.

So we headed across the border to a glen in Dumfries and Galloway where you didn't have to be a lawyer or a banker to live in the country.

And for years I never felt like either an immigrant or a refugee. Fair enough, there was plenty of England/Scotland banter, but that's all it was. Thankfully our two boys got the chance to grow up with minimal levels of racism.

Then things started to shift. Once the SNP won control of the levers of Scottish power, it became clearer with every passing day that things were miles better north of the border in almost every way. Of course I had a front row view of this as a foodbank manager. When I got ill, I was treated in a brilliant hospital. When my dad got ill, he was treated in a succession of dire Lancashire hospitals which seemed Third World in comparison. Slowly but surely Blackburn sank further and further into a mire of racism until it was as divided as Portadown.

And then came Indyref. I wrote a blog explaining why I planned to vote 'Yes' and suddenly found myself on an accidental rollercoaster. I got an invite to give my views as an English born 'Yes' voter to a town hall meeting in Lockerbie. I guess there were only about thirty people in the audience that night, but well over 5000 watched my efforts on YouTube once Reverend Stuart at 'Wings over Scotland' posted the video.

It's her, in case you're interested.

MY DEBUT FOR THE 'YES' CAMPAIGN

My next few months were unlike anything I had ever known before, and as the poignant misery of the dawn of 19 September broke, everything had changed. By now I absolutely wasn't British any more. I guess I never had been. Not really. 

Now I was Scottish.

And I realised we hadn't merely moved. We had emigrated. And like immigrants throughout history, we had become fiercely patriotic. Not for the old country. For the new country.

And then things changed again as the same virus which had infected my home town of Blackburn spread like a contagion all across England. From Carlisle to Torquay. England became polluted by a new aggressive ugliness which found a home in the cult of Brexit.

And for the first time, I realised we hadn't been migrants. We had been refugees. We had been a Jewish family who had seen the writing on the wall in 1930 and legged it out before the approaching storm started dropping trees and ripping off roofs. We had been a family of Ugandan Asians who had taken one look at Idi Amin and sold up everything before he took it at the point of a gun.

Last week I was chatting with a fellow refugee. A fellow New Scot who has been here for as long as we have been here and has gone similarly native. We got to talking about Brexit. Of course we did.

I said I was conflicted. A big part of me welcomes the prospect of a Hard Tory Brexit as the final nail in the coffin on Unionism.

But I still have lots of family south of the border and I fear for them once the horrendous implications of Johnson's self inflicted wound start to hit the streets. A Hard Brexit England won't be a good place to be if you happen to be either old like my mum or the wrong colour like Carol's family.

The guy I was talking to was as appalled as I am at the course our old country is set on. He told me of family members he can no longer stand to talk to.

We both shuddered at the thought of still being there. In England. In the land which had once been our home. And we both thanked our lucky stars we had seen the writing on the wall and got out. Left. Fled. Refugees who didn't grasp the fact that were were refugees. Not then. Not a quarter of a century ago.

But we do now.

I was in Glasgow for a conference last week. The venue was the Royal Glasgow Concert hall at the bottom end of Sauchiehall St. Eleven o'clock meant a comfort break and the chance to escape outside for some fresh air and nicotine. The front door to the venue sits on top of a flight of concrete stairs and a statue of Donald Dewer. I got a long view down a gun barrel straight Glasgow street to the Clyde.

I leaned against the wall and worked my way through a rollie. And I people watched. A busker was doing Lou Reed and Bowie whilst the world walked on by him. And suddenly it hit me. It really was like the world was walking by him. As in black, white and all colours in between.

My mind wandered back to the early eighties when I once upon a time drove through the night to hit the Barrows market at dawn to buy second hand Tweed overcoats for a quid each. By nine o clock, my old VW Beetle would be stuffed full and we would head to town for fifteen hours worth of drunken mayhem. Had I stood on the same steps back then, every one of the faces below would have been white.

Then I got to thinking about more recent visits to second city of the Empire. How would Sauchiehall St have looked five years ago in those grey autumn weeks after the heartbreak of 19 September? Sure, there would have been may more brown faces than there were in the days when Souness and King Kenny ruled the roost. But nothing like this. Nothing like now.

So why does Sauchiehall St suddenly look like Oxford St or 5th Avenue? Are these people all tourists? In Glasgow on a wet autumn day? Not very likely.

Or all they immigrants who have beaten a path to Glasgow from all four corners of the earth? I doubt it. The Home Office in London still has its snarling guards on the Scottish door.

Then it hit me. These were almost certainly people like me. Internal refugees. People like me who have taken a ride up the M6 to a country which prides itself on the ability to still do common decency. People like me who's refugee journey involved Gretna services rather than Ellis island and the Statue of Liberty.

And of course there are no forms to fill in at Gretna services. No dotted lines to sign on. No oaths of allegiance to swear. No identity cards to apply for.

When a refugee flees up the M6 from England to Scotland, there is no official record. They just up sticks and move. There are no fences and watch towers and minefields.

How many are here already? And how many are planning to join the exodus? Old mates tell me it is already a common dinner table topic. Stay or go? How bad does it need to get? If my kids go to university in Scotland will they be able to get a Scottish passport?

As I stood and watched and smoked, I could see it right there in front of my eyes. It's here. It's now. It's happening.

Back in 1800 there were 10 million people in England and Wales, 8 million in Ireland and 6 million in Scotland. 24 million in total.

42% England and Wales. 33% Ireland. 25% Scotland.

Then shit happened. Lots of it. The Irish famine. The Highland Clearances. All the good stuff as London let us all know who's in charge. If shit hadn't happened, todays population might have looked something like this.

27 million people in England and Wales, 22 million in Ireland and 16 million in Scotland.

But shit DID happen. So now we have this.

England and Wales, 55 million. Ireland, 5 million. Scotland 5 million.

85% England and Wales. 7.5% Scotland. 7.5% Ireland.

We've seen this kind of thing before, right?

Montana 1800. Red Indians 100% White people 0%

Montana 2000 Red Indians 1% White people 99%

or

Vilnius, Lithuania 1940

Christians 60%, Jews 40%

Vilnius, Lithuania 1942

Christians 100%, Jews 0%

Thankfully our London rulers have never quite gone to such genocidal lengths to keep a grip on their closest colonies, though they came kind of close with the Irish Famine.

I guess this explains why we have so much space and not enough people.

Well after several hundred years worth of wall to wall shite, the boot seems to finally be on the other foot. The strutting Tories are like the bellowing bull and the governments of Dublin and Edinburgh are like the dancing matadors, delivering pain by a hundred carefully directed stabs.

All of a sudden people south of the border are waking up to fact that a better life awaits at the far end of the M6. And it seems like they are coming.

Like refugees.

Like I did. 

And very soon it won't just be people. It will be banks and businesses and and cash.

And by the time London notices, it will be far, far to late.

I'll make like the busker by the Donald Dewer statue and wind up with the words of Lou Reed.

You're going to reap just what you sow....”

28 comments:

  1. Hey now, what’s wrong with Docs?

    I got new vegan ones yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
      or
      call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










      i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
      or
      call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

      Delete
  2. Excellent piece, thank you for being here and all that you do for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on Mark. What is happening in England just now saddens me to my core. How I wish we had voted YES in 2014. We would now be standing gazing in wonder and amazement at the self destruction goin on south of the border.
    Instead, we're being dragged down with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me cry, proud to be Scottish 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said from another Sassenach who moved here 16 years ago and has no intention of ever moving back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear, Mark, I've just read your "a-few-thoughts-from-English-refugee", and found it more than simply moving! Oddly, it confirms much of my own expectations and differs from what some people accuse of being: "anti-English"... actually, we are keenly anti-London governance! Most of us feel we are simply 'Yes' minded people; wherever one comes from, if you share our outlook and love Scotland, Scotland/Alba loves you! (Alba is Scotland in Scottish Gaelic)

    In closing, I'd like to say "taing mhór!" ('Many thanks!')

    Ewen A. Morrison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great piece of writing well worth the read, and so very true 👏

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know where you got your population figures.
    According to the 1801 census, the population of England & Wales was 8.9 million, Ireland 4.5-5.5 million, and Scotland 1.6 million. In 1841, the figures were England & Wales 15.9 million, Ireland 8.2 million, and Scotland 2.6 million.

    Regards,

    A New Scot of 34 years

    ReplyDelete
  9. This should be compulsory reading for every person living in Scotland. No matter colour or religion if you come here to settle amongst us you become and are SCOTTISH BY ADOPTION and yourfuture family by birth but we make no distinction we welcome you andgreet you friends and wish you all the best in what we hope and pray will soon be an Independent Scotland taking its rightful place in the family of nations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family followed the A1M up to Edinburgh from Yorkshire 6 years ago, best move we ever made. Like yourself what is happening in England has totally split my family (mainly on England's south coast) apart because I voted YES and support independence for Scotland.
    We will never return to live in England I am ashamed of what as a country it has become.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great piece. A belated welcome to your new home. You don't have to be born in Scotland as long as Scotland is born in you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like you I'm a Lancastrian. Like you I'm YES. But unlike you I now feel stateless - the Lancashire of my youth (I was at QEGS) is dead and gone, but I am not a Scot. I love Scotland, but am not Scottish, and this current shitstorm is tearing me to pieces. My granddaughter lives in Darwen . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dare say many refugees throughout history felt the same ambivalence. There's no reason to give up your identity and culture in a cosmopolitan and inclusive society.

      You bring the best of your roots, and that enriches our society.

      I will say one thing though, the best black pudding comes from Stornoway! 🤣

      Delete
    2. Nooooooooooooo! Chorley market. I like the Stornoway stuff, but it is not proper black pud! :-)

      Delete
  13. Small work. I was QUEGS as well. Memories of running the gauntlet down Montague St in a blue jacket and cap with St Wilfreds lads waiting round every corner....!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only went in the 6th form as they didn't take my kind when I was that age - being blessed of the lumps and bumps not dangles :-) My memories are more of the pub across the road at lunchtime . . .

      Delete
    2. Bloody hell - the Alex! The world just gets smaller and smaller!

      Delete
  14. Fantastic read Mark welcome to the safety zone although you will know that as you have been here a long time thank you for all you do here for so many

    ReplyDelete
  15. As an Englishman who has been living in now for. 43 years. I now consider myself a true and dedicated Scot. I left England as things were on a downward spiral. I love my Scotland and would go to great lengths to see a just and peaceful independent country. Thank you for your excellent input and honesty. God bless you and your loved ones.
    Brian & Wendy Womble

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good stuff, much of it recognisable. We moved to Skye 4 years ago, from Bacup, Rossendale. It was always our dream plan to do this, but a after the Brexit vote the atmosphere changed. Even though we were committed to our community and active in trying to make it a better place, the atmosphere changed. We are so glad we made the move. The only way to save Scotland is to become independent!
    Ruud & Di

    ReplyDelete
  17. I work all over from the Caribbean to Africa and when they knew I was Scottish I was welçomed with open arms'say no more

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mark,
    A great piece of writing which I can totally associate with, my late wife and I moved to Scotland 28 years ago. My inlaws left Scotland in the late 1950s early 1960s (I'm not certain exactly when) - your neck of the woods as it happens they hailed from Wigtonshire. I am also of Scot's decent, we both wanted to return to our roots and like you had noticed things changing South of the Border. My late wife was born and raised in Hertfordshire, whereas I'm a Northumbrian; we met at College in St.Albans, which was a culture shock for me in 1987. Back then the North East was suffering from high unemployment & High poverty (Thanks Maggie) whereas the South East was still floating on top of the housing bubble. Moving South felt like a different country, but not in a good way, I did enjoy my time at College and made some great friends. Away from the College however I really didn't like what I was seeing, it was at peak Maggie - No such thing as Society and extremely greed-driven, even then it felt hostile and toxic to me. Come 1991 our course was finished and we had the opportunity to move to Aberdeenshire. The contrast couldn't have been clearer we were immediately welcomed by everyone we met and fell in love with this part of the world. I did notice something I think is a uniquely (old) Grampian region thing though, some of the English who had settled here had done so and formed what can only be described as an Ex-Pats type community. Mainly these folks were ex-forces or Oil industry people they never seemed to attempt to fit in and looked down their noses at the locals, not something that went down well. We, on the other hand quickly made friends with locals and expats alike, not surprisingly the expat types don't seem to hang around for very long. Come to think about it I can't think of a single one of our friends from those days who are still in Scotland. I think what I am trying to say is that if you bring an "attitude" with you you won't settle here for long, but if you come here wanting the better future that we have both enjoyed Scotland is an extremely welcoming place and an outstanding place to raise a family. The only way forward for Scotland is Independence something I have been actively working for about 14 years and have held a number of office bearer roles in the local SNP. Personally, I just can't wait to deliver something I have always, yes even as a child, believed in a Free Outward-Looking Country which is the polar opposite to what England has become. I think the time will be soon when Scotland retakes her rightful place in the International community. Saor Alba gu brath.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  20. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email: Emutemple@gmail.com
    Call or what's app +2347012841542
    Website: https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete